Gauging Interest of a Technical Career Site

I’m very seriously considering the launch of a technical career site. This site would be focused on readers who are entering the technical field and those professionals looking forward in their technical careers. The target audience would be the US due to my familiarity, but I believe the information would be useful globally. We would address challenges like getting the first job, interviewing skills, experience, searching for a job, writing resumes, managing people, geography, etc.

My question to the entire PacketU community is this, “Do you believe this would be useful to you and your friends?” I would appreciate any feedback or comments either below or in any of the social networks that you may connect to me through.

I sincerely thank you in advance for your help,

Paul

No related content found.

About Paul Stewart, CCIE 26009 (Security)

Paul is a Network and Security Engineer, Trainer and Blogger who enjoys understanding how things really work. With over 15 years of experience in the technology industry, Paul has helped many organizations build, maintain and secure their networks and systems.
This entry was posted in Other. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Gauging Interest of a Technical Career Site

1. Rony86 says:

Please do it
    It will be very helpful

• Paul Stewart says:

I think so too. I would certainly visit that type of site. I’m hoping lots of others would find it beneficial too. Thanks for your input.

2. It might show the realities of the technical field and getting into the field as well. Everything sounds great when you get your college degree, but then figure out nobody will hire you because you have zero real exp. in the field.

• Paul Stewart says:

Yes. I think there is a whole set of unique challenges that must be overcome to get into this field. With additional layers and abstraction that new methods of networking bring to the table, I think the challenges will change over time as well.

3. Jason Burch says:

Paul,

I think your idea sounds fantastic! I am a new Network Engineer and it took me 11 months to land a job in this field. I found it incredibly difficult to get even an entry level Network Engineer job without specific work experience. My previous two IT positions didn’t allow me to get my hands dirty as I worked for very large corporations who either had a NOC dept. that preconfigured all L2/L3 equipment, or an on-site Network Engineering team that was so busy they didn’t really have the time to let me shadow them (nor did I have the time). I had the desire to get into this field, but I found it incredibly difficult to gain the experience. The only thing I knew to do was to start earning certifications and get my hands on either live equipment or GNS3 so I could become as competent as I could without job experience. So long story short, I believe I think your idea of helping someone get into Network Engineering and how to move up in the field once you have the job is an awesome idea! Now that I have the type of position I want, my goal is to keep working my way up. I will want more responsibility and more challenging work as my skills and experience increase and since I want those two things I will eventually be looking for jobs elsewhere and/or trying to earn promotions within. So if you could provide advice on the best way of helping me achieve that goal, that would just be fantastic!

• Paul Stewart says:

This is awesome feedback. That is a story I hear on a regular basis and the two gaps I’d like to address. Challenge number one is getting that first job. The next challenge is growing to a professional level and beyond.

4. TacACK says:

Great Idea Paul. I would support this. Any involvement from employers would be great too , like what are the new things(technical) which companies are looking for in candidates other than the standard curriculum, which could add value to the user. Example : Virtualization , scripting knowledge could be helpful in landing a networking job although it’s not directly related.

5. Pingback: Internets of Interest for 5th May 2013 — EtherealMind

6. For all those who commented, the site is up and running at theTechInterview.com.

Comments are closed.